Friday, March 26, 2010

Rose Windows

I'm thinking about doing a series of digital art with the theme of rose windows, which, unbeknownst to the papacy and clergy, were included in european churches of medieval times as a way to restore the feminine in the church. Although I'm pretty sure the windows didn't, in actuality, have that effect on the higher-ups, those noble laypeople and peasants who knew the symbolism had to be encouraged by such a beautiful reminder of their goddess right there before them as the central focal point of entire church structures. Hmmm... awfully clever, you silly artists.

My work would basically be reproductions of those mandalas, in square format, "suitable for framing", as they say. I'm most interested in the windows of gothic cathedrals in France, including

Notre Dame, Paris

rose-Notre-Dame-320.jpg


The Basilica of Saint Denis, west rose

istockphoto_183006_stained_glass_rose_window.jpg


Chartres Chatedral

w145_8343c.jpg




Reims Cathedral


Full-Sept07-D9363sAR800.jpg


Amiens Cathedral

3080778139_99a600e0c1.jpg


and Strasbourg Cathedral

600px-Rosace_cathedrale_strasbourg.jpg


Depending on how those go, I may follow up by moving into Spain or Italy, but I may have found what I'm looking for in reproducing the French windows. Some of this work also ties in with the revisitation of the France photography in black and white that I took several years ago. I'm not sure the connection yet, but I can see that there might be one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I'm an artist working in paint and photography and collage and sometimes the written word or construction paper with markers. (Depends on the day.) I share a fish-out-of-water experience in the Deep South with my creative, progressive little family just outside of Atlanta, Georgia.